RCS / NROFF under SYSTEM V

Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Thu Sep 19 04:09:52 AEST 1985

> > Does anyone know if RCS and NROFF software packages run under System V?
> > If so, how do I get the source code?
> >
> > Laurie > lblock at almsa-1
>
> RCS is a 4.2BSD package and doesn't come with System V (has anyone done a port?).
> Nroff is (originally) an AT&T Bell Labs product; the System V version is
> somewhat improved from the version in 4.1BSD (4.2 may have done some
> improvements also.)
>
> The ONLY way to get source code is TO GET A SOURCE LICENSE!  If your System V
> system is only a binary-licensed system, find out from the vendor about getting
> the binaries for nroff.  For recent AT&T computers (3B2, UNIX PC 7300),  AT&T
> has unbundled the UNIX system; you don''t get the Text Processing Utilities
> (nroff, (di)troff, etc.) with the operating system - you have to order them
> separately.  The AT&T UNIX Software Sales people are in North Carolina, phone
> number 1-800-828-UNIX.
> 				Bill Stewart

(I just saw your followup about wanting -me macros - sorry):
The -me macros are a Berkeleyism.  I suppose they'd probably work ok on System
V nroff.  They should be available on a 4.*BSD system, probably in source form
under /usr/lib/macros, even if you just have a Binary license.
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs