ps problem solved - more stupidity on our part

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Tue Sep 10 22:57:10 AEST 1985

Actually, ``ps'' and other kernel-grubbers should generally be
setgid (not setuid) to a special group that can read the appropriate
files.

I have a question, though: is SysV's /dev/swap somehow different
from 4.xBSD's /dev/drum?  If not, the suggestion given here
(approximately ``ln /dev/fuji /dev/swap'') won't work.

Under 4BSD, /dev/drum is a ``magic'' raw disk device that gives
access to all swap areas, no matter what or where they are.
Internally only, there is also a fake block device.  I quote from
the bottom of /sys/vax/conf.c:

	/*
	 * Swapdev is a fake device implemented
	 * in sw.c used only internally to get to swstrategy.
	 * It cannot be provided to the users, because the
	 * swstrategy routine munches the b_dev and b_blkno entries
	 * before calling the appropriate driver.  This would horribly
	 * confuse, e.g. the hashing routines. Instead, /dev/drum is
	 * provided as a character (raw) device.
	 */

This actually seems like a cleaner way to implement user I/O to
the swap areas, as one need do nothing other than reconfigure the
kernel and edit /etc/fstab to change the swap and paging configuration.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland