Need help on UUCP connection (4.2 <--> Ultrix)

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.UUCP
Sun Sep 29 04:51:14 AEST 1985

In article <98 at cholula.UUCP>, tim at cholula.UUCP writes:
> In article <132 at illogica.UUCP> mickey at illogica.UUCP (Michael Thompson) writes:
> =>  My bet is that your login name "UOurMachine" does not have a unique
> =>  UID.  Some versions of UUCP (I've seen it in system V derivitives) do
> =>  a getuid() call and search linearly through the password file until
> =>  they find the *first* entry with a matching UID. The login name
> =>  associated with that UID is what is used to check against entries
> =>  in the USERFILE.
>
>  Thanks Michael for the fix to the problem.  Never even crossed my mind since
> 4.2 systems don't care about that.  Apparently Ultrix UUCP is a mixture of
> SYS5 and 4.[23] UUCP.

I am glad a fix was found, but based on the LOGFILE entries and our
experience the problem was not on the Ultrix system side.  We talk to 13
or so other sites -- Ultrix systems and non-Ultrix systems -- using the
Ultrix-32 UUCP.  On our system as well as on some of the others, the uucp
login names are different but are all the same UID for different systems.
We have no problems.  I suspect the problem -- based on the LOGFILE
entries -- was in the USERFILE of the other system.  In fact, the problem
might be with a UUCP that didn't recognize system names of more than 6
characters.

Fred.