floating point overflows (and how t

preece at ccvaxa.UUCP preece at ccvaxa.UUCP
Wed Sep 11 01:28:00 AEST 1985

> > If I compile and run the following program, it will continue until
> > a floating point overflow occurs and will then go and proccess
> > the interrupt routine. However, it seems that the return from the
> > interrupt routine is returning to the start of the instruction
> > which caused the overflow in the first place. Therefore, the program
> > just goes into an infinite loop printing the overflow message.
> >	  Scott Pace, ...!philabs!micomvax!othervax!scott

> You are not doing anything wrong, DEC is!  I am sure they would claim
> this to be a feature (it is documented in the architecture handbook),
> but it sure looks like a bug to me.
>	{ucivax,trwrb}!lcc!richard
The idea is probably that your interrupt routine should fix the
condition that caused the error before returning.  There are
situations where this is a perfectly reasonable way to do things,
allowing rational responses to predictable exceptions.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana