Intermittant lockup of VAX

acheng at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU acheng at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU
Thu Sep 26 01:49:00 AEST 1985

>/* Written  9:56 am  Sep 24, 1985 by wayne at cylixd.UUCP in uiucdcs:net.unix-wizar */
>/* ---------- "Intermittant lockup of VAX" ---------- */
>Here's the problem.  On a very intermittant occasion, our 785 will hang
>anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes.  During this time, nothing entered at
>either a terminal or the console will be processed even though characters
>are echoed back showing what you typed.  After the elapsed time has passed,
>all processing continues as if nothing had ever happened (including a
>flood of responses to the commands you typed in while the system was hung).

We have experienced something like that when we installed a tri-density
tape drive on one of our 750's.  Whenever the tape access was done
and rewinding, the whole system froze until the spinning back had
completed.  The bug was a hardware type in the tape controller.
The manufacturer later sent us a revision and it is all okay now.
Your problem may not be of tape drive but it is most likely
hardware.

Albert Cheng
acheng at UIUC.ARPA	acheng at UIUC.CSNET	{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!acheng
Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Illinois-Urbana,
Rm. 240, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, IL 61801

%%% The above is the opinion of my own %%%
%%% and not necessarily that of the management. %%%