EX/ NCR TOWER

Mike Tilson mike at hcradm.UUCP
Mon Sep 2 03:25:28 AEST 1985

Just a minor correction on the antecedents of the NCR Tower System V
adaptation.  We at Human Computing Resources had a joint development
effort to product a System V version for the Tower.  It was done well
before the current "official" M68000 version was available.  However, a
(and perhaps by further implication aren't able to do their own development.)
This is not true.  In the time since we did basic initial work, NCR has
done very substantial development work, and the product as it now stands
really is NCR's own product.  To pick just one example, the power fail
recovery (which is a *nice* feature to have when somebody accidentally
kicks the plug of your office micro) is entirely their own work.  As far
as I can tell, the NCR Tower UNIX system is backed by significant
internal development resources.  This is not to say that it's perfect, or
that mistakes weren't made, but in all fairness credit should be given
where credit is due, and I think a lot of good technical work has been
done at NCR.

I just wanted to correct the impression that the current Tower UNIX
system was an "off the shelf" product from us.  (Of course I'd like
to claim all the good and disown all the bad.:-))  But the fact is that
the product as it stands today is an NCR product, backed by NCR.

/Michael Tilson
/Human Computing Resources Corp.
/ {utzoo,decvax}!hcr!hcradm!mike