Accounting Suspended out of the blu

acheng at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU acheng at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU
Tue Sep 24 02:23:00 AEST 1985

>> This is the 2nd time that our accounting has shut down.  The symptoms
>> are no accounting (not even for myself :-) and A message
>> "Accounting Suspended" printed on the console.
>
>When the /usr filesystem goes >90% (or is it 95%?) accounting shuts
>itself off so that it (rememeber, accounting is done as root, which
>doesn't stop writing at 100% full -- it stops at 110%, see the 4.2 filesystem
>paper for an explanation) doesn't completely full up the disk.  You have
>two possible solutions:

Actually, the kernel suspends accounting writing when the
particular filesys is >98% full and resums it only when
the filesys is <96% later.  That 2% gap will give the
adminstrator some time to fiugre out what to do.
I usually try to clean up /usr/adm/{wtmp,messages}
and /usr/tmp too.

albert cheng
{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!acheng
acheng at UIUC.ARPA	acheng at UIUC.CSNET
Dept. of Computer Science
Univ. of Illinois-Urbana