bsd4.3 vs Ultrix 1.1

David R. Stampf drs at bnl.UUCP
Wed Sep 25 05:51:37 AEST 1985

	Sometime in the near future we will have to decide on upgrading
the operating system on a VAX/780 from Ultrix 1.0 to either Ultrix 1.1 or
bsd 4.3.  There are lots of considerations here, but some of the more
important ones are:

	1) What breaks under 1.1.  Some rumors have it that our arpa
		link may break.  (This comes from someone in DEC who
		may not know any better)

	2) What is in the DECnet implementation that runs under 1.1?

	3) What kind of support is available for 4.3?  Does Mt. Xinu
		or anyone else run any hot-line support centers.  If
		so, are they any good?  Are they better than DECs which
		has not been especially breath-taking?

	4) Large numbers of manual pages in 1.0 contained the caveat
		"...is not supported by Digital Equipment...".  These
		were cleverly removed in the 1.1 release (good to see
		the PR boys are earning their keep!)  but a small
		piece of paper that accompanied the release indicated
		that little has changed.  Only now, I can't grep for
		a tally of unsupported manual entries.  Would anyone
		care to offer reasons why DEC does not want to support
		an innocent program like "ed"?

	5) Using your crystal ball, what does efforts by SUN and AT&T to
		work together on future Unix releases have to do with all
		of this.  Will Dec follow, or go its own way?

	Any info will be appreciated and I will report back if I learn
anything.
			<dave stampf