swapon problem

eichelbe at nadc.ARPA eichelbe at nadc.ARPA
Tue Sep 10 08:48:08 AEST 1985

	I have a real puzzler on my 4.1 BSD system on my VAX 11/780.  I
recently reconfigured my system so that I needed to move my alternate
swapspace partition from hp1b to hp2b.  However, when I bring up the system
I now get:
	Adding /dev/hp2b as swap device
	No such device: /dev/hp2b

For some reason, the swapon program cannot access /dev/hp2b, but both /dev/hp2b
and /dev/rhp2b exist and are correct.  I have made no changes to my operating
system.  I do have source code, but swapon.c just shows a syscall of:
	#define VSWAPON 85
	if (syscall(VSWAPON,fs->fs_spec) == -1)

My swapping worked before for hp1b, but I've since converted its disk to a
"c" partition so I can't go back.  Please help.  Thanks.

Jon Eichelberger
eichelbe at NADC
P.S. I've already tried "swapon /dev/hp2b", thinking that fstab might be bad.
     This does not work, either.