Bizzare paranoia of /bin/login on 3b2

David J. Carpenter djc at chinet.UUCP
Fri Sep 6 06:29:35 AEST 1985

I have experienced a bizzare problem with logging in on the console
on our 3b2.  Here's what would happen:  Unix: would send  login: , I
would reply, then Unix would send Login incorrect immediately without
asking for a password.  I immediately feared that something happened
to /etc/passwd.  But I went to other terminals and was able to login
without any problem.  Then I found that the console would allow me to
login as guest, which didn't have a password, but from guest, su
replied with Sorry without asking for a password.  When on as guest,
the ps command reported that my login -sh was not associated with
a terminal.
	The only major change I had recently made of significance was
to change a line in /etc/inittab from a uugetty to a shell script
that did a few things, then exec'd uugetty.  Doing a ps from another
terminal revealed that this shell script was associated with console.
	So apparently, for some reason INIT made the shell script in
console group, and when login started up on the console it didn't like
having another process associated with console and got suspicious.
Switching back the /etc/inittab line solved the problem.
	Anybody know anything about this?   Thanks...

--
					...!ihnp4!chinet!djc
					David Carpenter