Need info on ISI systems

John Bruner jdb at mordor.UUCP
Fri Sep 27 04:45:13 AEST 1985

We've had ISI products here for a couple of years now.  I believe
that we were one of their first Q-bus 68000 board customers (I put
their CPU and memory boards into our own LSI-11 chassis and loaded
their distribution of UniPlus+ onto a hard disc from floppies).
We eventually purchased their 68010 upgrade and upgraded this
system to 4.2BSD.  I had some early problems with data-lates
on tape I/O during disc I/O, but a telephone call to ISI brought
me new ROMs within a couple of days.

We now have two additional systems -- Optimum 14/10 rack-mounted
Q-bus 68010's.  They are used as I/O processors for another
machine, running a standalone I/O program.  They have been rock
solid.  I literally just plugged them in and they booted UNIX,
and aside from our own hardware, I've never had any problems
with them.

I've always found ISI to be very helpful, and after some pretty
poor experiences with other manufacturers' hardware I was
impressed with how well their machines worked and how easily
I could set them up.

They don't handle byte-order correctly on magtapes, though, as
someone has previously noted.  Aside from that I've been very
happy with them.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are my own, and do not
necessarily reflect those of the Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory, the University of California, or the U.S. Department
of Energy.
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb at mordor [jdb at s1-c.ARPA]	(415) 422-0758