ps on SUNs has 51K of text!

Jeff Stearns jeff at fluke.UUCP
Tue Sep 24 10:38:37 AEST 1985

In article <710 at wdl1.UUCP> jbn at wdl1.UUCP writes:
>      Feeping creatureism strikes again:  SUN's version of "ps" has 51K of
>text in it!  I wondered why "ps" took so long to start.  What on earth is
>in there?  The Bourne shell is less than half that size.
>
>                  text    data     bss     dec     hex
>4.1BSD /bin/ps   16384    3072    26044   45500    b1bc
>SUN 2.0 /bin/ps  51200   10240    51536   112976  1b950
>                   John Nagle

For a hint, look at /bin/ps on Sun release 1.4, before the Yellow Pages
were employed for uid <-> username translation.  This will also give you some   hints as to why it's slower.

On a Sun release 1.4 system:
% size /bin/ps
text    data    bss     dec     hex
28672   6144    36044   70860   114cc

On a related note, I have some simple speedups for /bin/ls on a Sun; it can
double the speed of an ls -lg when you have large /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files.  (The distributed version of /bin/ls uses the Yellow Pages very
suboptimally.)  Contact me if you're interested.
--
	Jeff Stearns       (206) 356-5064
	John Fluke Mfg. Co.