Sys V Release 2.0, Vax 780, 2nd uba?

Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Tue Sep 17 02:12:54 AEST 1985

> Has anyone put a second unibus adapter on a 780 or other Vaxen running
> System V, Release 2.0 Unix?  If so, how was it specified in the config
> file and what changes are rquired to the source?
> Bob Thurman, Cray Research, Inc.

Yes! You can buy the software support from DEC for about $2500.
They have versions for System V Rel 0 (a bit buggy; SVR2 came out
about when they released the SVR0 driver, so most of the bug fixes
went into the SVR2 version), SysV Rel 2 (pretty solid stuff),
and SVR2v2 (the VAX paging version) (my tape is in the mail, so I
haven't installed it yet.)
	They change about 2 dozen  files, mostly related to UNIBUS
and disk file handling, plus stuff like /etc/sysdef and /stand/*.
The tape they send you has a bunch of source and assembler files and
an installation script.  It's only safe to run the script once; most
of it looks like:
	cp /usr/src/uts/vax/io/foo.c /usr/src/uts/vax/io/foo.c.orig52
	cp foo.c /usr/src/uts/vax/io/foo.c
so the second run copies dec's stuff (now residing in .../foo.c)
onto .../foo.c.orig52.  I was doing a number of bizarre things in
addition to installing the DEC source, so I had to run the
installation script a number of times.  Make sure you back up
anything the DEC script uses into somewhere safe.
The instructions were good cookbook stuff, and there was a lot of
detail for various reasonable hardware configurations.
	I don't have the ordering info at hand.  DEC's UNIX software
support people are at their Holmdel NJ office, 1-201-946-9403; Dave
Leonard is the person in charge, but check with your sales person
first rather than calling him.
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs