tar fs copy

Bob Peirce rbp at investor.UUCP
Thu Sep 19 22:18:58 AEST 1985

>> following runs fine.
>>
>> if [ $# -ne 2 ]
>> then
>> 	echo usage: cphier frompath topath
>> fi
>> exec tar cf - $1 | (cd $2; tar xf - )
>
> directory it does a fork/exec of mkdir, then waits for all of its
> children to die, including the first tar. Now if the first tar is
> nearly finished then it will write its output to the pipe and exit,
> which allows the second tar to continue. However, if the first tar
> has to write more than what will fit in the pipe then the whole mess
> hangs up, because the first tar is waiting for the second tar to
> read from the pipe, and the second tar is waiting for the first tar
> to exit.

How big is the pipe?  I read somewhere pipes use the root file system,
which on our computer has about 1100 free blocks.  Yet, I have used
cphier to transfer, for example, the entire netnews source, including
rn, from one drive to another.  All I created was the highest level
directory.  Cphier made all the rest.  Will it sometimes work and sometimes
fail on a transfer of this size?
--

	 	    Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA
	    uucp: ...!{allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis}

	    NOTE:  Mail must be < 30K  bytes/message