New remote troff package

Steve D. Miller steve at tove.UUCP
Tue Sep 10 03:35:05 AEST 1985

   A new and much improved version of my remote troff package has
been posted to net.sources.  If you have the previous version, I
strongly recommend that you use this package instead; due to various
dumb things I did, the old version was not much of a speedup over
a local troff, while the new version is *much* faster.  The new
version also includes a load daemon (useful to poll if you want to
know the load on another machine and if you want an estimate from them
as to how many crunchons their cpu has (on a relative scale)), hacks
to both rtroff and rcatdvi to allow them to use the load daemon
to pick the least loaded machine from a list of possible remote
hosts, and is portable and much cleaner.  I've tried it
on Vaxes (under both 4.2 and 4.3 as we know it), Pyramids, and Suns,
and it seems pretty reliable.   The shar file has more info included
in both the README and the Makefile; if you have questions, problems,
or opinions (please, no really nasty flames), let me know.  Have fun.

	-Steve

--
Spoken: Steve Miller 	ARPA:	steve at maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-4251
CSNet:	steve at umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!steve