large processes/excessive swapping

Steven List itkin at luke.UUCP
Tue Sep 10 06:17:04 AEST 1985

We are running Plexus P/60 and P/35 computers with  SYSIII  and  S5R2.   Our
application  runs  toward  large  text  and data spaces.  We have run into a
significant problem with swapping.

Our investigations to date (we are  a  binary  licensee  only)  lead  us  to
believe  that  there  is  a  generic  UN*X problem with swapping.  We have a
system that is frequently running 16 terminals, each with 4 processes  which
range  from  100Ktext/50kdata to 250ktext/500kdata.  The only solution we've
come up with so far is to add memory.  With 7MB of memory, the  swapping  is
eliminated  (so  far).   Fortunately  Plexus  recently released a 4MB memory
board, allowing us to install up to 16MB in a machine.

We have spoken with someone (I don't know who or where) in AT&T  who  seemed
to  recognize that this is a problem.  Is there any help for this situation?
I believe that Plexus would be willing to explore any reasonable avenue that
would help us out.

Please respond by Email, and I will summarize.
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation, Mt. View, CA