Manuals, windows, auto-newlines

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Apr 24 08:28:41 AEST 1986

In article <1101 at whuxl.UUCP> mike at whuxl.UUCP (BALDWIN) writes:
>True; it is better that rows/columns be in the terminal
>ioctl structure (termio/sgttyb).  Has 4.3 also moved $TERM
>there?  TERM (and LINES and COLUMNS) are per-port variables,
>not per-process.

No $TERM in the kernel, but using shell functions I can solve this
(so long as the functions can be passed in the environment a la
8th Edition UNIX; otherwise one needs to source a "function
definition file" when a shell starts up).  Just make the command
that downloads a terminal emulator a shell function that first
adjusts $TERM.

>Then there's the problem of cu'ing from a window.  Not much
>can be done in that case if you reshape.  What happens with
>remote shells?  Do they see the change or SIGWINCH?

"cu", "rlogin", etc. just have the problem that not enough
terminal state/control information is passed in their protocols.
With stream i/o networking, and suitable protocols, it should
be possible to have the "terminal handler" on the remote end
completely aware of the terminal state.  Occasionally we even
get that here using 4.2+BSD "rlogin", so far as initial window
size is concerned.  (I don't think window changes are passed
along, but they could be and should be.)