job control

mwm%ucbopal at ucbvax.berkeley.edu mwm%ucbopal at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 18 02:34:48 AEST 1986

> It's somewhat distressing to hear that I have to know what sort of
> Unix system I'm on so I don't use "env" when I should use "printenv".
> I would be a lot happier if I heard that "printenv TERM" would work as
> a replacement for "echo $TERM".

Uh, sorry, Mark, but which of env/printenv/echo works depends on what
command line interpreter you're using, as well as what Unix you're
using. Just ask how to find the terminal type on a v6 system :-).

The ability to use your favorite CLI is a win. You have to expect that
things that change/print/otherwise-diddle the internal data structures
of the CLI will change as you change CLIs. For the most part, they
stay constant across different flavors of Unix if you stay with the
same CLI. Now, what you shouldn't ask is how the terminal type
information got imbedded into the CLI on Unix.

	"Unix is rapidly replacing obsolete 10 to 15 year old OS's."
	<mike