Window Systems and Job Control

swa at mit-borax.arpa swa at mit-borax.arpa
Sat Apr 5 07:18:54 AEST 1986

I'm writing this from the perspective of a 4.2 BSD user.
As I understand it, some people here are saying that job control is not
good because windows are so much better.

I haven't had the opportunity of  using a windowed unix environment,
so I'm not going to touch the question of whether job control is
necessary GIVEN A NICE WINDOW SYSTEM.
I will say, though, that for those of us who do NOT have a window
system (I sometimes log in over hardcopy terminals, at work I use a
24-line heathkit terminal, at home I use a 16 line terminal) job
control offers a lot of functionality that systems without it don't
provide.  We will need job control until the last hardcopy terminal
dies, until the last 24 X 80 screen is is a museum.

---
``Don't be tricked by what you see, you've got two ways to go.
Freedom of choice is what you've got.
Freedom from choice is what you want.''
	-DEVO
swa at borax.lcs.mit.edu, swa at mit-borax.ARPA