communications questions

Mike Mc Namara mac at tflop.UUCP
Tue Apr 22 14:16:42 AEST 1986

In article <4783 at topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> hedrick at topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>We are trying to set up a Sun 3 as a "communications server".  We want
>it to do the following:
>  - handle UUCP mail for all of the machines on our Ethernet
>  - interface between Ethernet and BITnet
>  - handle various network servers and daemons.
>We have reason to think that what we are trying to do is possible, but
>I am finding it hard to issue actual purchase orders for a couple of
>the pieces.  I'd be curious if anyone knows what pieces we would
>need for the following:
>  - interface to BITnet.  This requires us to talk to an IBM
>	.....It needs to talk to a synchronous line
>	using bisync.  Does anyone know that this has been done,
>	or have a suggestion for a way to support a high-speed
>	bisync line on a Sun?  (Sun has a Hasp RJE product, but
>	we don't want to emulate a card reader.  It is not clear
>	whether we can use just the lower level of this product
>	to implement UREP.

	In SUN's catalyst book (available from your local salesman, I'm sure)
	they list a number of SUN <-> SNA interfaces that work at various levels.
	(3270, 3770)  plus a bunch of other interfaces from SUN to just about
	everything. (catalyst is a forum sponsered by sun to advertise your device
	that makes suns work better, be you device software, hardware, firmware or
	underware...  If you are doing things with suns (perferably w/ underware)
	you should check it out, 'cause you can get discounts on Sun equip.
	if you advertise in Catalyst)

>  - Arpanet interface.  Does anyone have a Sun on the Arpanet?
>	What 1822 interface do you use?  What  1822 device
>	driver/software?

	 Didn't see one in Catalyst.