shell compiler?

Rick Richardson gemini at homxb.UUCP
Wed Apr 16 20:05:56 AEST 1986

Scott Larnach writes:
> Have any of you wizards out there any idea of how much of the time a
> shell script spends being interpreted by the shell and how much it
> spends actually doing the work?  Would a program which turned a shell
> script into an equivalent C program (which would handle i/o
> redirections, fork/exec the appropriate commands, etc.) usefully
> improve the speed of my scripts?  Has anybody ever used such a beast?
> Is there one in the public domain?

Paul Ruel wrote such a compiler, called 'shacc', and marketed by
Concentric Associates (if still in business).  Look in an old copy
of UNIX World (Review?).

If the script does a lot of fork/exec as opposed to control flow,
you're not going to see much (any?) of an improvement.

Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc. (201) 922-1134, (201) 834-1378 @ AT&T-CP
..!ihnp4!castor!{rer,pcrat!rer} <--Replies to here, not to homxb!gemini, please.

[Disclaimer: I've known Paul for years, and his work is good.  I have
no connection to Concentric Associates, and neither does Paul, these days]