not getting dump after crash

Russ Brandon msitd32 at ms3.UUCP
Thu Apr 17 06:36:49 AEST 1986

In article <2321 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, kjs%tufts.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa (Kevin Sullivan) writes:

> Our 780 running 4.2 has been crashing with "panic: mchk,"  bet we are not
> getting crash dumps,  which makes it difficult to see what is happening.
> On other kinds of crashes we do not have this problem.  Any hints?  Is there
> a way to manually force a dump before rebooting?

	First check your /etc/rc file to see if contains a command
	'/etc/savecore directory_name'. This line causes a core image
	to be saved in the named directory when rebooting after a system
	crash. Also check to make sure that this directory is large
	enough to handle the core image. You space requirements will be
	(the size of /vmunix) + (the size of memory).

		example:
			if /vmunix is size 286720 on an 8Mbyte system,
			the amount of space needed in the directory
			would be  (286720 + 8000000).

	You may want to dedicate an entire filesystem for this purpose.

	For futher info see savecore(8).

--
Russell Brandon		...!seismo!vrdxhq!ms3!RSB
c/o ISN, Crop