problems with Kennedy tape drive hu

irwin at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU irwin at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU
Wed Apr 30 16:08:00 AEST 1986

We have a Kennedy 9100, three 9300s and two 9400s. They all have
the same type of hub. Based on the experience at our site, I feel
that if you replace the neoprene O rings on the hub, your problem
will go away. If these get hard and will not compress well, it
will take a lot of pressure (tighten the adjustment more) to keep
the reel from slipping.

The major problem that we have had is the "cold roll pin" that acts
as a hinge pin for the pressure lever wears and breaks. We found a
good solution for this. The last time one broke, we took a drill bit
of the correct diameter, ground a groove around it on the end that
would chuck up in the electric drill, and then snapped it off at the
grove, to make a hard solid pin to replace the cold roll pin. (You
make the groove the distance from the end of the bit that the pressure
lever is wide). We have not had one of these pins give up yet.

To get the hub apart, the lever is lifted, there is a screw behind it,
this is removed and the outer part of the hub is turned counter clock
wise until the hinge part of the lever is screwed out of the hub. You
can take a look at the condition of the hinge pin AND the O ring. As
you probably know, the screw is the actual tension adjustment, as there
are several holes around the hub, that it can fit. If too loose on the
reel, just back out the screw, turn the outer part of the hub another
1/4 turn to the right and try it again. While you have it apart, I
would think it might help to rough the surface of the O ring by pulling
it through some steel wool so that the surface has more friction. Once
the reel slips on it much and shines it up allowing less friction, things
are bound to get worse.

(By the way, that hub is cast very well, I doubt if it will crumble, it
might break the hinge pin if it is getting worn)