Manuals, windows, auto-newlines

BALDWIN mike at whuxl.UUCP
Mon Apr 21 12:18:37 AEST 1986

>>> For the big window, on 4.3 BSD, just say "stty rows 62 columns 116".
>>
>>On System V say "LINES=62 COLUMNS=116; export LINES COLUMNS".
>
>This is a lossage, though; when I reshape a layer on my DMD
>the environment variables are not updated.  [D.Gwyn]

True; it is better that rows/columns be in the terminal
ioctl structure (termio/sgttyb).  Has 4.3 also moved $TERM
there?  TERM (and LINES and COLUMNS) are per-port variables,
not per-process.

Then there's the problem of cu'ing from a window.  Not much
can be done in that case if you reshape.  What happens with
remote shells?  Do they see the change or SIGWINCH?
--
						Michael Baldwin
			(not the opinions of)	AT&T Bell Laboratories