inet ports allocation

Mitchell Lerner lerner at isi-vaxa.arpa
Thu Apr 10 04:29:55 AEST 1986

Yes to q2.
I once had to dynamicly allocate ports (service names) to servers that
did uploading of large map files.  I had the server get the next available
port (service name) from a service name server and then free the name
when it was done using it.  There were only 16 service names
in all for this, so the boundry conditions had to be handled by haveing
the client retry later for a port.  It was all quite simple, the only thing
that took some thinking was the protocol between map server and service name
server.  I have the code lying around, so if you have any questions on this
implementation, I can refresh my own memory, then be of more service.