job control

Barry Shein bzs%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Wed Apr 16 08:27:26 AEST 1986

Re: Unix doc, Tops-20 pilferage et al

Remember that a major feature of the UNIX documentation has always
been that it is designed to be kept entirely on-line, this requires
some compromises in organization (which I personally think aren't
too bad.) I have seen a few vendors try to 'fix' the documentation
in various ways and every one of them first forsook (?!) on-line
documentation which I promptly called them and screamed my little
head off about.

Something I did not understand from your note is: do you want more
indexing in the on-line set or the printed set? Which were you having
trouble with? (not that I have anything to do with this, just asking.)
People have INFO-ized the UNIX manual (I did it once, quite a chore but
it worked), would this help or maybe what you really need is a good
KWIC index? At any rate, I don't see anything particularly wonderful
in the TOPS-20 documentation that solves any of this, for example,
except perhaps the operations manual which is quite well done.
My question is basically do you need better on-line programs to
search the docs (write one! that's all we ever do and submit it
to the world for acceptance), or actually different dead-tree style.

Speaking of TOPS-20, I think you are unfair to accuse UNIX of
honesty. I think UNIX has stolen shamelessly over and over again
and is proud of it, I pluck your beard sirrah!

What is your reaction to the TIOCSTI call (emphasis on STI)? How
about the tcsh with command completion? The inheritance of groups
through directories? The standardization of TCP (I know, low blow,
but let's face it, that was w/in the domain of TOPS-20, I seem
to specifically remember a memo going around back in the early
80's or maybe late 70's that specifically was debating whether to
move from TOPS-20 to UCB/VAX/UNIX for standard DARPA implementation,
the memo I believe originated from somewhere in DARPA.) My point
is only that their historical growth has been close and there has
been no particular lack of cross-semination, albeit with keeping
to their own particular styles.

(hmm, how about the ability to suspend shells and the apology
you get if you try to suspend [read: detach] your login shell?)

etc etc.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University