to job control or not to job control (was UNIX Futures)

J Q Johnson jqj at gvax.cs.cornell.edu
Sun Apr 13 21:06:49 AEST 1986

In article <279 at maynard.UUCP> campbell at maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>> ...if the program isn't prepared to redisplay output, no matter whether
>> or not you have job control it's going to scroll off the screen anyway.
>It doesn't scroll off the screen if you go open another window to do
>subsequent stuff.

Presumably, any reasonable window system (e.g. the one we run on our Xerox
Dandelions) will have a mode of operation in which text is logged locally
as it scrolls out of the window.  Such text can then be reviewed in the
same or a different window, much as one can fumble through the paper that
spews out of a hardcopy terminal.

Note that this implicit definition of "reasonable" excludes most of the
window systems that have been mentioned recently on this list.