Eighth Edition and job control (was Re: UNIX Futures)

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Fri Apr 18 09:10:17 AEST 1986

In article <1835 at ism780c.UUCP> tim at ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:

>I didn't mean that programs should not be able to find out the size of
>a window, and when it changes.  I meant that if a program doesn't say
>to the windowing system, "Hey man, I'm a whiz bang program, and I
>won't freak if my window changes size", then the windowing system
>should keep track of a logical and physical size of the window.
>
>If a program tells the windowing system that it is a whiz bang program,
>then the program would be informed of size changes, and there would be
>no difference between the logical and physical window.

	Actually, under UNIX the way to do this is have the windowing
system send some standard signal, say SIGWINCH, to the process whose
window is being changed. The default action fo this signal would of
course be to *ignore* it. If a process wants/needs to know about
window changes it can arrange to catch the signal! This is consistant
with the rest of the UNIX OS and is operationally equivalent to what
you are talking about, since a program that doesn't need to know can
simply do nothing at all.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen at rand-unix.arpa