Problems with System V Release 2.1 on 68010

Kenneth Almquist ka at hropus.UUCP
Tue Apr 15 03:00:43 AEST 1986

> I'm working with System V Release 2.1 from Motorola, for the 68010.

> 1) I know that some (berkeley?) versions of exec(2) understand shell scripts.
>    The implementation i've seen is to put "#! interpreter-path" at the
>    start of the script. As far as i can see, this is very kludgy, but good
>    for several reasons. It means that any "program", either a binary or a shell
>    script, can be exec(2)'d. It means that shell scripts can be setuid (is
>    this possible anyways? I couldn't see a way). It allows a consistent
>    way to handle scripts for several shells.
>    Is this mechanism only a berkeley thing? I know it's not very elegant,
>    but is it hard to implement for some non-obvious reason? (given the
>    source to exec(2), i mean). I can see that it means the file needs read
>    perms so that exec can read it, but the interpreter is going to need
>    them anyways.

Yes, it's a Berkeley feature.  One weakness is that if you are running
/bin/sh and invoke a shell procedure which begins with "#!/bin/sh", the
kernel will exec /bin/sh even though /bin/sh is already running, so there
is a cost to this approach.  (An alternative approach is to have the shell
handle "#!".  I prefer this approach both because it keeps code out of the
kernel and because it allows normal path searches for the interpreter, as
well as solving the aformentioned efficiency problem.)

You can get a setuid shell script be writing a trivial setuid C program
that runs exec's the shell on a shell script.  But be warned in any case
that setuid shell procedures generally have security holes.

> 2) Does our exec(2) have a bug here? A file cannot be exec'd (by our exec(2))
>    by root unless execute permissions are set for one or more of user, group,
>    other. There are several things which make me think that this is a bug:
>    - it is inconsistent with the way read and write perms are given;
>      root can read and write a file regardless of the read and write
>      permission bits.
>    - intro(2) says "... execute permissions on a file are granted to a process
>      if one or more of the following are true: The process's effective user
>      ID is superuser. ..."
>    - access(2) on a file with no execute perms, by a process with real uid
>      of root, returns 0, indicating that root can execute the file.

It used to be that exec was was supposed to require that at least one of
the execute bits on a file be set for exec to succeed.  I think that the
intention was to catch errors by superusers.  (Forgetting to type the
command name and just typing the name of the file I want to cat or what-
ever is an error I make occasionally.)

I agree that the System V documentation says that the superuser should be
allowed to exec a file which has no execute bits set, and I would guess
that AT&T's policy is that the documentation is correct.  Just out of
curiosity, though, why do you care?

> 3) Why is there no eaccess(2) which uses effective uid? It can be done
>    with stat(2), but so can access(2), can it not? The fact that access(2)
>    uses real uid makes it not so convenient, and might cause programs that
>    use it to be incorrect (like maybe the shell? - see below)

access cannot be easily done with stat.  For example, stat will fail if
the real uid has permission to search the directories leading to the file
but the effective uid does not.

You are right about access causing programs that use it to be incorrect.
Programs should not use access unless they explicitly need to test the
real uid rather than the effective uid, but they do anyway because access
is faster and simpler to use than stat.  As a result, you cannot generally
assume that programs will behave properly if invoked with differing real
and effective IDs.

This is a good example of a feature that practically begs people to write
their programs wrong.  I believe that providing an access system call
without a corresponding eaccess system call was a mistake.

> 4) Is it true that the sh construct "$@" (in a shell script) is supposed
>    to be identically equal to the command-line arguments? It seems that
>    it should, because otherwise there is no way to get at these because
>    $@ = $* gets reparsed, and "$*" is one word.
>    In our sh, "$@" is exactly equivalent to the command line args if there
>    are some, otherwise it is equal to "" instead of nothing.
>    Seems like a bug to me. If so, how wide-spread is it?

It's on our SVR2 on a VAX here.  The Korn shell gets this right, of course.

> 5) Shell functions. Are they such a kludge on all System V sh's? On ours
>    the definitions seem to be stored with shell parameters, so if you do a set
>    you get a huge mess of junk. They are not part of the environment though
>    (thank god), but it would be nice if there was some mechanism for getting
>    them into every sh started up. They do get into forked sh's though, which
>    means they are "exported" to shell scripts, and commands in (). The former
>    is a disaster! It's easy enough to write a shell script with
>    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
>    in it, but there is no simple way to ensure that commands used in the
>    script are not going to be shell functions.
>    Also, executing a shell function gives values to $1, $2, ... in the
>    executing shell. This is really messy; these should only be changed
>    while executing the function. That is, $1, $2, ... should be auto
>    variables to a shell function, not external.

Shell functions are not store with shell parameters; the set command just
prints them out (which makes the output of the set command messy).  You
are right about functions being passed to shell procedures and $1, $2, etc.
not being restored when a function completes.  (Again, ksh doesn't have
these problems.)

> 6) Is the PATH variable so screwed up on all System V's? It used to
>    be that the component were *separated* with :, and a null component was ".",
>    so an initial :, or ::, or a final : meant ".". Now it seems that the final
>    : isn't "." anymore. Bug or feature?

Bug.  Simple workaround--end PATH with two colons rather than one.

>    PATH cannot be unset either, so it can't be removed from the environment
>    once it's there.
>    By the way, with previous (say version 7) shells, how did you unexport
>    a parameter, i.e. remove it from the environment of invoked commands?

Allowing you to unset PATH would be difficult.  In previous shells you could
not unset variables at all, although env(1) allowed you to remove *all*
environment variables except for a specific list from the environment.

> 7) It seems our shell checks file permissions before trying to exec the
>    file. It will not execute a command for which the effective uid (gid)
>    has permissions, but for which the the real uid (gid) doesn't. Looks
>    like it uses access(2) to me, which is an error, 'cause access only
>    looks at real uid (gid), and effectives are the ones that count to exec(2).

As I mentioned above, lots of people decided that real and effective IDs
were always the same and started using access rather than stat; the shell
is only one of many culprits here.

> 8) Command Hashing. This could be good, but our shell screws up in some
>    really stupid ways:
>    - if you try to execute a directory (that has execute, i.e. search, perms),
>      the shell reports that it can't be executed, then hashes the name
>      anyways.

Hashing is done before executing the command, and it doesn't check whether
the file is a directory.  It doesn't discover that the directory cannot
be executed until after it has forked, at which point it's too late to
fix the hash table.

>    - executables used in shell functions aren't hashed.

They are, though not when the function is defined.

>    - if a name is hashed (by executing it) then removed, the shell correctly
>      finds another executable with the same name if there is one, but
>      doesn't replace the old hash table entry with the newly found path.

This is again due to the fact that the shell doesn't discover the problem
until after it has forked, when it is too late to fix the hash table.  The
correct program is still executed, and the added cost of imperfect hashing
would not seem to be a real concern in view of the number of time this
must occur.

> 9) The new "type" shell builtin makes mistakes, and is horribly designed.
>    It does the things that Kernighan and Pike's which command did, but is
>    so verbose that it is unusable for anything non-interactive. It makes
>    mistakes too, saying that directories are executable, among other things.

I don't think it was intended for non-interactive use.  (The bit about
directories being listed as executable is fixed in ksh, of course.)

> 10) Shell parameters used on a command line (i.e. "TERM=xx vi file") don't
>     work for shell builtins and shell functions, on our shell. The semantics
>     should be that the value of the parameter is set and exported to the
>     command, but when the command finishes, the variable should be back to it's
>     old state. For shell builtins, the parameter isn't restored to its old
>     state. For shell functions, the new value of the parameter isn't used at
>     all.

The behavior in the case of shell builtins was certainly intended, but it
was never documented, and in fact ksh treats builtins and functions just
like you (and the documentation) suggest.

> 11) Many of the shell scripts in /bin and /usr/bin are very poorly written.
>     - they don't initialize shell variables (parameters) so any imported from
>       the environment don't have a null value.
>     - they don't set PATH=/bin:/usr/bin so they are very unrobust as to
>       which version of a command they execute.
>     Where did they get the people who wrote these?

No comment :-)  (I should say, though, that I have never had a problem with
any of these shell procedures although I'm sure I could break them if I
tried.)
				Kenneth Almquist
				ihnp4!houxm!hropus!ka	(official name)
				ihnp4!opus!ka		(shorter path)