sxt/shl code

Brandon Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Mon Apr 21 01:15:14 AEST 1986

Expires:

Quoted from <240 at mrstve.UUCP> ["Re: Job Control, Shl"], by rjk at mrstve.UUCP (Richard Kuhns)...
+---------------
| In article <2619 at brl-smoke.ARPA> bzs%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa writes:
| >[...] it's nearly impossible for a mere mortal to figure out
| >how to program their own equivalent of shl.c just by the ioctl descriptions.
|
| Agreed.  Now, has anyone actually used these ioctls?  I'm working on a
| couple of applications where some of the capabilities of the so-called
| 'virtual ttys' would come in very handy, but I can't figure it out from
| the manual page (sxt(7)), and AT&T has been less than no help.
| Any working code fragment, or suggestions as to where to look for more
| info, would be greatly appreciated.
+---------------

(begin plug)

I have seen sxt code in Gnu Emacs; I suspect it's able to act as an
intelligent shl.  The source is FREE if you have a neighbor site with GNU
Emacs; if not, send $150 to the Free Software Foundation; the money goes into
development of a public-domain UNIX, an eminently worthy cause.  Not only will
you get the sxt's for system V, you get a great PUBLIC DOMAIN editor to boot.

(Note:  Find the latest version you can; I saw it in ca. v17.49, and they're
up to v17.62 now last I saw.)

--Brandon
--
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!allbery  ncoast!allbery at Case.CSNET  ncoast!tdi2!brandon
(ncoast!tdi2!root for business) 6615 Center St. #A1-105, Mentor, OH 44060-4101