Satellite delays slow UUCP

Jerry Aguirre jerry at oliveb.UUCP
Tue Apr 22 06:20:37 AEST 1986

I have noticed a problem while running UUCP thru a circuit that includes
a satellite delay.  Even though the channel is configured for 2400 baud
the thru-put slows to under 500 baud.

When I monitor the link I notice that the sender will send a burst of
data, the line will be idle for approximately 1 second, the receiver will
send a short burst of data (presumably one or more acks), and then the
sender will immediately send another burst of data.

The lines are clean (error corrected) and the round trip delay is
approximately 1 second.  The UUCP is what came with 4.2BSD.

The UUCP 'g' protocol seems configured around the magic number of 8
packets of (I think) 64 bytes each.  That should be enough to keep the
line busy until the ack for the first packet is received.

Has anyone analyzed this problem and come up with a bug fix.

					Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|glacier|olhqma}!oliveb!jerry