restarting core images

Kent S. Harris ksh at rtgvax.UUCP
Tue Apr 8 11:24:40 AEST 1986

In article <741 at puff.UUCP>, tom at puff.UUCP (Tom Christiansen) writes:
> OS:   BSD4.3 UNIX w/ Sun NFS
> CPU:  MicroVax II WorkStations, Vax 7[58]0's
>
> Does anyone out there have any experience with restarting core images as
> generated either by the core() function ...

There is a simple program (sorry, I don't have it on the machine I'm
currently on but I can get you a copy if you ask me by E-mail) distributed
in the public domain by the folks that turn out the TeX distribution
tape (its called undump).  `Undump' takes an original a.out and a core
file (generated by abort() for example) and builds a new a.out image
with all of the original .text as .data.  Be advised, not all vendors
have remained true to the ZMAGIC (413) a.out format.  Sun (vax, etc) allocates
an entire UPAGE for the exec structure on  the front of 413 file, whereas ISI
allocates just the exec struct immediately followed by text segment (the text
size includes this header).  ISI should have cobbed up a new magic number
as there is nothing sacred with "413".