Response to DELUA and H4005 questions!!!!

Graham Slieker DTN 226,7328 slieker at derep.DEC
Sat Apr 19 01:31:08 AEST 1986

Steve Bellovin

		My name is Graham Slieker I'am the Product Manager at DEC
responsible for the DELUA and the H4005. I like to answer some of the
questions you posed on the network regarding these two products. The DELUA
handles the Physical channel and Data Link Layers only. The 802 considerations
there are hardware in nature, 1/2 or full step signalling etc. The type/length
arbitration occurs at higher levels in the DECnet software on the host. The
DEUNA/DELUA only looks for MOP instructions not protocol types, they both
hand all packets except those with MOP instructions up to host. The DEUNA is
compatible with 802 just not compliant.

The H4005 will not be available in the A and B variants. The A and B signifies
heartbeat enabled or heartbeat disabled. The vanilla H4005 will be field
configuarble via an on board switch. The transceiver cables are tied to the
transceiver. With and H4000 goes an ETHERNET cable and with an H4005 goes
an 802 cable. If you swap cables it thing will probably work but you will
violate the 802 spec by not having the proper shield grounding in the Cable.
Any further questions , give me a call 617-486,7328 or ...
(However you get to DEC from usenet)..RHEA::DECWRL::DEREP::SLIEKER

							Regards

							--Graham--