Job control vs windows

Curtis Jackson rcj at burl.UUCP
Thu Apr 3 11:24:54 AEST 1986

In article <352 at twitch.UUCP> grt at twitch.UUCP ( G.R.Tomasevich) writes:
>> ...nz (Neal Ziring at WU ECL ...
>> ...  Window systems leave processes lying
>> around, and clutter the system even more with a window managing process!
>
>That is certainly true.  When we started running lots of Blits on twitch,
>we had to increase all sorts of kernel parameters, such as the number of
>inodes, the number of files, the number of processes.

When this sort of thing, compounded by shell layers, started happening
on the computers for our project at Bell Labs in NJ, the system administrator
put out news asking people to please try to kill all layered processes
when running windowed.  For those of you who at least saw the ads for the
movie "Alien", he ended with the amusing:

"In a layer, no one can hear you scream."

I liked it!!
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!burl!rcj