4.2BSD restore(8)

Greg Woods woods at hao.UUCP
Tue Apr 22 02:33:32 AEST 1986

  Sorry if this has already been asked here, but I rarely have time to
keep up with all the articles in this group. This relates to restoring
file systems from dump(8) tapes after the data on the disk was wiped
out for some reason. I have two questions: first, it usually happens
that we don't have a level 0 dump right before the disk dies, so therefore
one or more incremental restores are required. It doesn't seem to let you do
a "restore -r" on a tape that is not level 0, so I have to resort to the
kludge of doing "restore -i" followed by "add ." and "extract". This works
fine, except that zillions of warning messages about directories that already
exist that are going to be written into come out on the console (often for
5-6 pages), and once it starts, several more pages of complaints about hard
links that cannot be created ("File exists") come out (as far as I can tell,
the link structure seems to be preserved when all the incremental restores
are finished). So, is there a way to shut off these obnoxious messages? Better
still, is there a better way to get the disk back to the state it was in when
the last dump was done?
  The second question is: after the restore and icremental restores are
complete, the next time we do a dump at ANY level, it seems to want to dump
the entire disk, despite the fact that the original modification times of
the restored files are preserved. Why is this, and is there any way to make
it behave "sensibly" (i.e. just dump the stuff it would have dumped had the
restores never been done)? Thanks for any help. Please MAIL responses to me
and I will post a summary.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods at ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

"The darkness never goes, from some men's eyes"