system accounting tools or info wanted

mem at elrond.UUCP mem at elrond.UUCP
Wed Apr 9 10:44:46 AEST 1986

Greetings.

After searching the official documents for the Ultrix version 1.1 system
(basically BSD4.2) running here on a Vax 11-780 system, I have not found
any utilities which will present a summary of accounting information in
ways that seem useful.  Before charging off to hack something up, I
thought I'd try to find out if (perhaps) my ignorance has gotten the
better of me once again and there really IS a tool to derive this
information, or if not, maybe someone out there has something that can
be used.  At this stage, I was hoping to find a way to get just a gross
report of cpu utilization divided into "peak" and "non-peak" times (I
would think that this capability would be around, but as I say, I can't
seem to find it).  Other things that would be useful would be to provide
summaries by user and/or image name, sliding time window analysis, usage
according to class of user or application, and on and on.

Another related problem is that (as far as I can tell) the "savacct"
file which is created to be a compressed accounting history does not
contain enough information to derive the desired summaries, thus a tool
to archive the accounting information would also be useful.

Mark Mallett
     ...decvax!savax!elrond!mem
or   ...ittatc!sii!savax!elrond!mem
or   ...ihnp4!terak!elrond!mem