How big is a VAX 8600 running Ultrix?

Karl Auerbach AUERBACH at sri-csl.arpa
Tue Apr 15 14:16:10 AEST 1986

I'm working with some folks who have about 2600 users spread across
six ancient PDP 11/70s running various flavors of obsolete Unix kernels.
The main use is electronic mail and some light document formatting.
They use smart terminals to avoid running their screen editors in raw mode.

My question is this: is it even conceivable that this user base could
be squeezed onto a single VAX 8600 running Ultrix?

(By-the-way, I forgot to mention that out of these 2600 users, only about
100 are signed on at any one time.)

Thanks in advance.

         --karl--  (Karl Auerbach,  Auerbach at sri-csl.arpa)

-------