SU unix sites mail broken...

greep at camelot greep at camelot
Thu Apr 17 10:45:02 AEST 1986

From: Steven Tepper <greep at camelot>

I'm no expert on the sendmail config file, but I put in the following
quick hack to take of the problem on Camelot:

Date: 15 Apr 1986 1653-PST (Tuesday)
From: Steven Tepper <greep>
To: kolk at carmel
Subject: sendmail.cf change to handle xxx.stanford.edu

The arrow below points to the one line I added to sendmail.cf to handle
names like camelot.stanford.edu. (The other lines are just so you can tell
where in the file it was.)  I haven't had a chance to look this over
thoroughly, since I wanted to get something in quickly so we wouldn't lose
too much mail from the 20's.

	# arrange for local names to be fully qualified
	R$*<$*$=S>$*            $1<$2$3.LOCAL>$4                user at etherhost
	R$*<$*$=Z>$*            $1<$2$3.LOCAL>$4                user at berkhost
	R$*<$+.ARPA.LOCAL>$*    $1<$2.ARPA>$3                   because ARPA is a host

	# now delete the local info
---->   R$*<$*$=w.$=D.EDU>$*    $1<$2>$5                        thishost.STANFORD.EDU
	R$*<$*$=w.LOCAL>$*      $1<$2>$4                        thishost.LOCAL
	R$*<$*$=w.ARPA>$*       $1<$2>$4                        thishost.ARPA
	R$*<$*$=w.UUCP>$*       $1<$2>$4                        thishost.UUCP
	R$*<$*$=w>$*            $1<$2>$4                        thishost
	R$*<$*.>$*              $1<$2>$3                        drop trailing dot
	R<@>:$*                 $@$>0$1                         retry after route strip
	R$*<@>                  $@$>0$1                         strip null trash & retry

Also I modified sendmail plus the config file so that the machine now
recognizes its own internet addresses, since Score was sending these
out for a few days.  Before, it would recognize an internet address but
not realize that it was its own address, so it would try to send the
message back to itself via tcp and then notice that it was talking to
itself and complain, so as to avoid getting the message stuck in a loop.

PS: shouldn't this discussion be on MailHax rather than NetHax?