Job control

John Owens jso at edison.UUCP
Tue Apr 22 07:32:55 AEST 1986

> I was told at the Washington, D.C., Uniforum, by someone from AT&T
> who claimed to have proposed the shl idea, that he was *joking*
> when he suggested it.  I believe that he was.
> --
> Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA

"shl" seems to be a lot like the old TOPS-10 OPSER program, which would
create numerous subjobs, all of which could be controlled by the top-level
program, which was most often run from the (hardcopy) console terminal.
Output from each program was preceeded by its job number, and the user
would direct input to the program he wanted by its job number.  (I think
you could also have names as aliases for the numbers.)  It also handled
various operator-like functions directly.  Of course this program is
useless for anything but hardcopy terminals and glass ttys....

	John Owens @ General Electric Company	(+1 804 978 5726)
	edison!jso%virginia at CSNet-Relay.ARPA		[old arpa]
	edison!jso at virginia.EDU				[w/ nameservers]
	jso at edison.UUCP					[w/ uucp domains]
	{cbosgd allegra ncsu xanth}!uvacs!edison!jso	[roll your own]