re. a better cpio/tar

Stu Heiss stu at jpusa1.UUCP
Thu Apr 10 02:18:35 AEST 1986

[replace the line-eater]
The recent suggestions about the shortcomings of cpio point to the
obvious solution - we need a decent public domain cpio (and tar).
My gripes about this pair include cpio's inability to handle multiple
tapes/disks and tar's inability to have the filelist on stdin.  It
would be a worthwhile project for the usenet community to develope
public domain inplementations so we can fix them to work reasonably.
If someone has even a rough version of tar and/or cpio and would
post, we could get the ball rolling.
--
Stu Heiss {ihnp4!jpusa1!stu}