Unix as a trademark

Barry Shein bzs%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Wed Apr 2 19:02:32 AEST 1986

What immediately occurs to me is that if I were an ATT lawyer I
would squirrel away the note imploring people not to attribute
UNIX as a (whatever) of (whomever.) It could prove very useful
to open an argument that any appearance of it coming into
common use was in fact a conspiracy on the part of the technological
community. I would bet even a weak argument of that type would
overturn the challenge. Is there a legal definition for an
unconscious event? A legal test? (yes Barry, it's called the Law :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University