BLITs vs. PCs vs normal terminals

Gary S. Moss SLCBR-VLD-V moss at BRL.ARPA
Fri Apr 25 00:21:18 AEST 1986

Neville writes...
 < In all the postings about how BLITs are the answer to the world's windowing
 < problems, nobody has pointed out some of its definite shortcomings...
I think "definite" is a strong word here, assuming you mean Teletype 5620s.
 < It has an all metal case, to the tune of almost 60 pounds.
Given that it is not a portable terminal, I would rather it be encased in metal.
There is too much plastic in this world already, think of it as armor, besides
the case itself probably only accounts for 5 lbs. or so.
 < It has no automatic screen-turn-off, so you keep reaching for the
 < 	intensity knob at the end of the day.
Please, please, don't adopt the idiocy of Tektronics and their automatic
screen dimming, I hate that.  It is so annoying to be staring at a screen and
have it fade out on you, besides the intensity knob is right under the screen,
you don't have to reach for it.
 < ...  Turning it off loses downloaded software.
What would you expect?  Do you want your program to run on a processor with no
power?  Do you expect programs loaded in RAM to stay there without power?  Try
powering down the host computer and see if it does any better.
 < Just try to get good technical help from AT&T Teletype for them.  i dare you.
 < 	If hardware is your only problem, you *may* have a (slim) chance.
This is probably a justified criticism.
 < Many features are documented incorrectly (try to get keyboard repeat without
 < 	running under layers),  and many of the more useful functions will
 < 	only work under layers even they could provide needed functionality
 < 	outside of layers.
I get keyboard repeat fine when not in layers mode, what other functions
are you talking about, besides the windows of course?
-moss