lint question

Jim Barnes barnes at infinet.UUCP
Thu Apr 24 01:31:31 AEST 1986

I posted a question about lint to net.lang.c and net.unix but
have received only one response so far.  Can anyone in this
group offer any suggestions?

The original posting follows.

>Recently I tried running lint on some code that I was modifying.
>I started getting an error message of the following type
>repeated over and over again.
>
>	./inc.h (251): too much defining
>
>The line number would change in each error message, but the
>end result seems to be that the lint symbol table that stores
>#define'd symbols was overflowing.  Is there any way of
>expanding the symbol table size?  (I think we have the 4.2
>lint sources hanging around.)
>
>Please e-mail any suggestions that you might have.

To add a little information, I have had no problems compiling
the program, the problem only occurs when I use lint.  Secondly,
there are several large #include files referenced by the
source that are part of a dbms package that we use.  I consider
hacking those #include files a last resort since I will have
to modify the files every time we get a new release of the
dbms package.