Eighth Edition and job control (was Re: UNIX Futures)

Warwick Bolam wjb at goanna.OZ
Tue Apr 8 13:40:12 AEST 1986

> In article <127 at sering.mcvax.UUCP> dpk at sering.UUCP (Doug Kingston) writes:
>
> > I use BLIT terminals and SUN-like
> > workstations every day.  However, this does not mean I want to give
> > up the ability to STOP and RESTART jobs.  [...]
> > [...]
> > In summary, look at the broader uses of BSD job control before condemning
> > its usefulness.  Its not just for allowing simultaneous processing.  [...]

All the discussion of what a hack job control is and how it imitates a
windows system and hence should be thrown away is a bit annoying to
those of us using 80*24 character terminals.  One day we'll all have
Suns or 5620's, or something similar.  Until then, job control is a
*very* useful hack.

	Warwick Bolam
	Dept of Computing
	Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
	Melbourne, Victoria
	AUSTRALIA

	seismo!munnari!goanna.oz!wjb		Usenet
	munnari!goanna.oz!wjb at SEISMO.ARPA	ARPANET