size of text/data space of running process

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Sun Aug 10 15:53:14 AEST 1986

My understanding is that the SZ field of a ps listing is *only* data and
stack (assuming a pure-text program).  The text size is kept in the text
table (the 4.3 BSD ps will show TSIZ with the 'v' option).

I have tested this on 4.3, and find that there are processes with a
larger TSIZ than SIZE, so it is clear that the text is not included
there.  Whether this is true under System V (the original question was
for this version), I am not sure, but it shouldn't be hard to test.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas at utah-cs.ARPA)