Talk and \"protocol not supported\"

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue Aug 19 17:48:52 AEST 1986

> When I try to talk to someone I get the screen cleared and then a
> message "Bad Socket (43)" or somesuch.

Barry's right, it is a crock.  The proper punishment for putting out code
that dumps the numerical value of "errno", instead of the appropriate
message when it exists, is keelhauling.  Behind a land yacht.  If they
haven't heard of "sys_errlist", what are they doing writing UNIX utilities?

> When I looked this up in intro(2), I discovered that 43 is "Protocol not
> supported".  The system where this occurs is not on a network, although
> we have been playing with the config file, trying to get this to work.
>
> Our config file is as follows:
> options		INET

The only place in a standard 4.2BSD kernel (I presume yours is standard,
right?) that gives that error is the "socket" call, and it only gives that
error if no protocol of the type asked for exists.  "talk" asks for a socket
of type SOCK_STREAM in address family AF_INET, and then for a socket of type
SOCK_DGRAM in the same address family.  The only way that can fail is if you
haven't configured in Internet protocol support, but it's there in your
config file.  It sounds like your kernel build got fouled up somehow, and
your kernel isn't in sync with your config file; make *sure* that the module
"netinet/in_proto.c" was compiled to make "in_proto.o" and that this module
was included in your system.  Also make sure that the module
"uipc_domain.o", compiled from "sys/uipc_domain.c", has "inetdomain" as an
undefined ("nm uipc_domain.o | egrep inetdomain" should find this out).
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)