Arcane modem configuration (was Re: Modems on Ultrix)

Jason Zions jason at hpcnoe.UUCP
Tue Aug 26 01:31:50 AEST 1986

One more nit. NEVER connect pin 1 to pin 1 if the DCE and DTE are plugged into
(i.e. get power from) different circuits. One little short and you have the
potential for a ground loop that'll known the socks off your equipment.

Connect pin 1 at one end, run it the length of the cable, but don't connect
it at the other. Adopt a convention (i.e. always run from the DTE side, or
always run from the DCE side; don't confuse yourself).

Even if both ends are on the same leg of the same circuit, I wouldn't recommend
connecting pin 1; 4 months later you'll need to move the modem, or some idiot
in Facilities will reqire your modem room, or....

You can have your security; I'll keep my safety.
--
This is not an official statement of Hewlett-Packard Corp., and does not
necessarily reflect the views of HP. It is provided completely without warranty

Jason Zions				Hewlett-Packard
Colorado Networks Division		3404 E. Harmony Road
Mail Stop 102				Ft. Collins, CO  80525
{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs,gatech}!hpfcdc!hpcnoe!jason  or  jason at hpcnoe.fc.hp.com