RAM disk vs paging + buffer cache

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Wed Aug 13 02:02:12 AEST 1986

In article <514 at opus.nbires.UUCP> rcd at nbires.UUCP (Dick Dunn) writes:
>What generally-useful features does a RAM disk have that I didn't
>consider?

The way I look at it, a RAM disk is just one way to exploit cheap
semiconductor technology within the existing model of computation.
RAMs for such use will normally be slower than main memory RAM,
therefore more affordable (min $/bit).  Multi-level storage is the
rule with large systems; ideally it would be transparent (as in
Multics), but in practice "permanent storage" (disk) is different
from "temporary storage" (core).

The RAM disk on my Apple //e is useful because the Apple main
memory management is a botch..