Configuring a network with 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD VAXen.

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed Aug 27 22:42:57 AEST 1986

In article <132 at bgsuvax.UUCP> herber at bgsuvax.UUCP (Steve Herber) writes:
>I have a LAN with VAX 780 4.3BSD and VAX 785 4.2BSD systems ....
>I am able to do the usual things (rlogin, rsh, rcp) but I cannot
>get sendmail to work from 4.3BSD to 4.2BSD and the rwhod daemon
>will not send information from the 4.3BSD system to the 4.2BSD.
>In both of these cases, everything works going from 4.2BSD to
>4.3BSD.  I have a feeling that if is a problem with the way the
>4.3BSD system now sends out broadcast messages.

Whether it is a problem with 4.3BSD depends upon your point of
view.  The real bug was in 4.2BSD, which uses the wrong Internet
address for broadcasts.  4.3BSD allows you to set the broadcast
address; for compatibility with standard 4.2 hosts, use all zeroes
in the host part:

>27.1		bgsu-stu student s   <== 4.3BSD
>27.2		bgsuvax research r   <== 4.2BSD

(Network 27 is allocated to NOSC on the Internet.  Ah well: if you
ever connect with ARPA, this may be the least of your problems....)

>herber at bgsu-stu!/a/mnt/scc/herber 3 # ifconfig il0
>il0: flags=43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>
>	inet 27.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 broadcast 27.255.255.255

Your 4.2BSD machine, however, has (effectively)

	inet 27.0.0.2 netmask ff000000 broadcast 27.0.0.0

so you must use

	ifconfig il0 broadcast 27.0.0.0

on your 4.3 machine, at least until the other is fixed.

>herber at bgsu-stu!/a/mnt/scc/herber 5 # mail herber at bgsuvax
>Subject: test
>test
>.
>Cc:
>herber at bgsuvax... Connecting to bgsuvax.ether...
>herber at bgsuvax... Deferred: Connection refused

`Connection refused' indicates that no sendmail is running, or that
the one that is running has used up its quota of outstanding
connections.  Use `netstat -a' to find out which.  And make sure
/usr/lib/sendmail is not `-rwsr-sr-x 1 bin kmem'!  It should be
setuid root.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu