Unix dead??? (long message)

ddavis ddavis at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Aug 14 09:17:52 AEST 1986

	Come on Chuq.  I think that copywrite laws exist to make sure that
    only the original author of a work gains financial or other benefit from
    it.  Posting to the net, with credit given to the original author and
    publication, is hardly detrimental to the author's interests.  I don't
    think that Mr. Dvorak would even want to bring suit against the net for
    such a violation.  Is it even a violation?  Lighten up.  Your example of
    posting a piece of software to a net without the author's permission is
    not valid since such an incident would serve to deprive the author of
    expected monetary return.  What is Mr. Dvorak or DEC Professional losing
    via the posting of such an article to the net?

    Frank Godek
    UCB